What is a Clinical Psychologist?

Clinical Psychologists are senior mental health practitioners trained to doctoral level. Clinical Psychologists aim to reduce psychological distress and enhance and promote psychological well-being. They are highly skilled in carrying out psychological assessment, delivering psychological therapy, and also providing consultation, training and supervision to others.




Clinical Psychologists will have first gained an undergraduate degree in psychology. Following this, several years of relevant work experience are required in clinical psychology and/or research psychology posts. This is followed by the undertaking of a three-year full-time postgraduate Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psy). 
Doctoral training comprises of several intensive placements in different NHS specialities, academic study and a research thesis. This ensures a wide breadth of clinical knowledge and experience, as well as more specialist training closer to qualification.


Following completion of training, Clinical Psychologists are required as part of their national registration to engage in continuing professional development (CPD) to maintain and update their knowledge and skills. Dr Iles and Dr Cooke have both engaged in post-doctoral training in several psychological models, and are currently actively engaged in further advanced psychotherapy training. 

The British Psychological Society provides further detail on the role of a clinical psychologist and how their role compares to other professions.



Evidence-Based Therapy

The extensive training that Clinical Psychologists engage in mean that they are trained to use evidence-based psychological methods of assessment and treatment. This means that the work they do is based on the most relevant research and literature. 
Clinical Psychologists use therapeutic approaches that are often cited in the guidelines of the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) as recommended treatments.



Why choose a private Clinical Psychologist?

The services of clinical psychologists are offered by many NHS Trusts. If you are seeking assessment and/or treatment you should contact your GP in the first instance. He/she should be able to let you know what services are available locally, and how long any waiting lists may be.

Following such enquiries, and in some instances following initial treatment, some people decide to self-refer to a private Clinical Psychologist who may be able to see them sooner, offer different treatments and/or offer more sessions than might be available with the NHS.






Online sessions only at the current time

Dr Andrew Iles




2&6 Therapy Rooms
Wainbridge house
Shepherd Rd 

Dr Pippa Wolfendale-Smith 

 (NB. Online sessions only at the current time)




Stroud Clinic


Lesley Millner

 (NB. Online sessions only at the current time)